Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Play


The creation of something new is not accomplished by the intellect
but by the play instinct acting from inner necessity.
The creative mind plays with the objects it loves.
Carl Jung

An artists work is suppose to have a cohesiveness, one that causes their work to be recognizable to all. I would love to be able to attain this. I do try! Most of my work is cohesive! But at times, when boredom sets in, or my mood is down, or I haven't anything left to express; I pick up the clay and mindlessly play like one might doodle, but what happens is usually surprising and quite often great!

It's not that I am bragging, its just that it surprises me. It throws me off balance! And the really weird thing is that so often this work gets greater accolades from my fellow artists and mentors than the work that I have so tirelessly toiled over.

No comments:

Post a Comment