Sunday, January 4, 2009

FACES


On Being an Artist

I was not creative as a child. While working in my coloring book I made extra sure to stay within the lines by taking a big black crayon and diligently retracing all the outlines. I was also a shy child, worried too much about being accepted and so in that very same way I locked myself in, surrounded by a big, black crayon. I am the last person that ever thought I would grow up to be an artist!


One of the things that I love about clay is the fact that it gives me the ability to play. My best work comes when there isn’t a project due and I am just fooling around. It’s that free play, without the worry of what will this be, and how will it sell, that I love.


Oh the faces, I just love them, I have hundreds of them. I intend on covering the world one face at a time. And they work great on their own, hanging around my neck. People ask me why there are no smiles and I just shrug my shoulders and keep creating, always smiling from within.

No comments:

Post a Comment